Old Pt Loma Light up on the hill, New Pt Loma Light surrounded by USCG housing
In honor of National Lighthouse Day:
The original Pt Loma Lighthouse was built to East Coast standards, which did not take into account the persistent marine layer that lies off the west coast of North America.
Point Loma Lighthouse was used for 36 years till it was replaced in 1891 by a skeletal tower built near sea level. Now Old Point Loma Lighthouse is the centerpiece of Cabrillo National Monument, with a spectacular view of San Diego Harbor. FACTS: Point Loma Lighthouse was in operation from 1855 to 1891.
The “new’ lighthouse has been a rusting deteriorating hazard for a few years. Now it has been rehabilitated.