Maddy has been selected as the subject for this year’s Library Halloween t-shirt so I decided it was an opportune time to catch up with the Midway Library’s favorite mascot.
- What do you think about being the inspiration for this year’s Halloween t -shirt? Is your ghost, your buddy from Annex 2, Monty?
Mom and I were both happy and surprised when we found out about this year’s Halloween t-shirt. Yes, Monty is the ghost in Annex 2, but I wouldn’t call him my buddy. I don’t feel comfortable with him and I worry about him around my Mom. After all, it is my job to protect her.
- Your mom recently had another fall. Was this as scary as the fall out of the helicopter? How did you help with her rehab?
It was very scary. This time we were home all by ourselves. I knew immediately something was wrong—my Mom fell so hard. She hit her head on the door frame, broke her left arm and fractured her left foot. Mom got herself up, made several phone calls, put her arm in a sling, and got my food, bowls and bed together and walked me up to the neighbors. She left me there and told me she was going to the doctors. That was a very long doctor’s appointment–she was gone 5 days!
When she finally got home, she couldn’t lift me up by herself so we came up with a way where I would jump up and she would get her right hand under my bottom and lift me into the chair. It was a little clumsy, but it worked.
After a couple of weeks, the doctor had her start bending her elbow, so I would sit on her lap and give her moral support. If I thought she was slowing down, I would pat my paw on her tummy. When she was done with those exercises, I would get a treat for being such a big help to her.
- Do you like Halloween? Do you greet the Trick or Treaters that come to do the door? Do you dress up for Halloween?
Yes, I do like Halloween. Mom dresses me up for Halloween. I have been an angel, a ballerina, a pumpkin and a ladybug. I love putting on costumes—they make me feel very pretty and everyone always smiles.
We are in Idaho a lot for Halloween, so I just normally sit on the couch with my Mom when the kids come to the door.
- What is your favorite season?
My favorite seasons are fall and winter. I like the cooler weather and Mom always decorates the house, especially for Christmas. There are lots of good scents, pretty lights and different things in the house. For Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas I get treats, so it’s hard to choose which one I like best.
- Do you look forward to your Mom going back to work? What changes do you expect because of COVID?
I know before Mom got hurt we weren’t going to the ship and I couldn’t understand—in fact we weren’t going anywhere and I really like going for rides. We went to the ship last week for the first time for a meeting and there weren’t hardly any of my special friends there. The ship didn’t have as many people there either. I don’t understand what COVID is, but I don’t like it. I am looking forward to things going back to normal—hopefully that will be soon.
- I hear the Midway Library staff wants to write a book based upon the t-shirt. Do you think it should be a picture book, comic book, or graphic novel? What will be your part of the book writing and preparing? You are going to be a media star and you heard it hear first!
The meeting Mom and I went to last week was about the book. I’m not sure what all of it was about but I know my Mom was very impressed with the work that had been done—I heard her tell them that. My only part of the meeting was lying on the floor and listening and then getting pets from everyone there.
- Are there other publicity outlets you would like to explore—plush Maddy toys, YouTube channel, Instagram, Pinterest?
Since I really like squeaky plush toys, maybe a Maddy plush toy would be something interesting.
- What do you and your Mom have planned for Thanksgiving?
We’re going to go to my Aunt Shelba’s house in Riverside County for Thanksgiving. In August, my cousin and her husband moved very close to Mom and me and they will be going to Aunt Shelba’s as well. It will be a fun day—Aunt Shelba and I are very close.
- What do you think of all of the wild fires on the West Coast? Have you been affected by them yet?
The fires are terrible and I know they have hurt a lot of people. We had one not too far from our home and with the Santa Ana winds moving in there was fear that it could come close to our home. It was a very tiring day. Mom spent a lot of time going from room to room and putting things together and since I knew she was upset, I had to follow her everywhere. Finally when the afternoon came and I was exhausted, I would lay in the hallway so I could see what room she was in.
- What is one thing you would like your legions of adoring fans to know about you?
I just hope everyone is well and that soon we get to do the things we always did. I miss seeing all of my friends–you know I’m a very social girl!
Since Maddy and Nan answered these question, they are both happily back on the Midway.