In honor of Independence Day, please enjoy this small quiz on State nicknames. Each state has at least one nickname, some have multiple nicknames. Usually only one is official. Answers at the bottom. Wikipedia is my source for the questions and answers.
1) Which state has the largest number of nicknames? Which of those nicknames is the official one?
2) Which state has three official nicknames? What is are they?
3) How many states have just one nickname? What are those states?
4) How many states have Empire as part of their nickname (official or unofficial)?
5) Which states have a metal as part of their state’s nickname?
6) Four states include the word Mountain as part of their official or unofficial nicknames. What are they? Which state has it twice?
7) How many states have Rain as part of their official or unofficial nicknames? What are they? (The answer may surprise you.)
8) How many state have Sun as part of their official or unofficial nicknames? What are they? Which three have the same nickname?
9) How many states have an animal, insect, or bird as part of their offical nickname? What are they?
10) What is the nickname(s) of your state?
- Alaska–That Last Frontier
2. Alabama–Camellia State, Heart of Dixie and Yellowhammer State
3. Seven: Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, New Jersey, South Carolina, Texas, and Vermont
4. Three: Georgia (Empire State of the South), Illinois (Inland Empire State), New York (Empire state.)
5. Arizona (Copper State), Nevada (Silver State) —Califonia is the Golden State so it does not qualify.
6. Colorado (Mountain State and Rocky Mountain State), New Hampshire (White Mountain State), Vermont (Green Mountain), West Virginia (Mountain State)
7. Two- Hawaii (Rainbow State), Illinois (Rainy State)
8. Five–Alaska (Land of the Midnight Sun), California (Sunshine State), Florida (Sunshine State), Kansas (Sunflower State), South Dakota (Sunshine State)
9. Four–Louisiana-Pelican State, Oregon-Beaver State, Utah-Beehive State, Wisconsin–Badger State
10. Since I live in Virginia, my state has two nicknames: Old Domion and Mother of Presidents. If you do not know yours, look it up here.