While the history of reptiles may go hundreds of millions of years back, National Reptile Awareness Day has an unfortunately short history in comparison. Additionally, it wasn’t really until 1966 when the first Endangered Species Act was passed that awareness of the needs and threats facing reptiles (or any animal, for that matter) started to make its way into our cultural mainstream.
Herpetophobia is a common specific phobia, which consists of fear or aversion to reptiles, commonly lizards and snakes, and similar vertebrates as amphibians–so fear of more than just reptiles.
Famous fictional reptiles
- Geico Gecko
Top 5 Characteristics of Reptiles
- Reptiles Are Four-Legged Vertebrate Animals. …
- Most Reptiles Lay Eggs. …
- The Skin of Reptiles Is Covered With Scales (or Scutes) …
- Reptiles Have Cold-Blooded Metabolisms. …
- Reptiles Breathe With the Aid of Lungs.
Examples of Reptiles
- Komodo Dragon